Nothing says Christmas like holiday cookies. The other night, Lori started the oven for the preparation of her annual “Santa Claus” cookies. Just in case you didn’t know, I’m Santa Claus in my house and my favorite cookies are Peanut Butter Blossoms. In my opinion, there is nothing better than chocolate and peanut butter. Although I had just finished making our second batch of “Competition Chex Mix” for gifts, I told Lori to “turn the oven off and let’s cook the cookies on the drum”. Yes, that’s right, cookies on a drum. For the past two years, we have been cooking our award winning “Ooey Gooey Butter Cake” and other desserts on the Gateway BBQ Drum, so I thought, why don’t we try some cookies on it too? The kids started pealing the Hershey’s Kisses wrappers and Lori mixed the ingredients while I got the drum up to temp.
Here are the ingredients you will need:
- 36 Hershey’s Kisses Milk Chocolate – unwrapped of course. You may have a few left over, enjoy
- ½ Cup of shortening
- ¾ of Creamy Peanut Butter
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar (nothing says BBQ like brown sugar)
- 1 Egg
- 2 tablespoons of whole milk (not that diluted crap)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Granulated sugar
- 1 Cup of Blues Hog (Just kidding – BBQ sauce is not good on everything)
Here is what you do:
- Get the smoker up to 375 degrees or right in-between the white and red line
- Beat shortening and peanut butter in a large bowl. Add 1/3 cup granulated sugar and brown sugar; beat until fluffy. Add egg, milk and vanilla; beat well. Stir together flour, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into mixture.
- Shape dough into 1 inch balls. Roll in a bowl of sugar. Place on a greased cookie sheet (no grill marks on these cookies)
- Put on the top rack of the drum smoker for 8-10 minutes. Check during that time, you want to make sure it is cooking evenly. If not, rotate the cookie sheet and cook a total time of 11-13 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately after removing it from the drum, place a Hershey’s Kiss into the center of each cookie. Remove the cookies from the cookie sheet and place on a cooling rack. Let the cookies cool completely before eating.
All of I can say, is WOW! They were better than cookies cooked in the oven. Oh yeah, do not put any wood in the fire box!